Heart and Vascular
Limb-saving care for peripheral artery disease
Peripheral artery disease (PAD) happens when atherosclerosis reduces or blocks essential blood flow to your limbs. A heart-healthy lifestyle is the first step to preventing and treating this chronic condition. The expert team at Goshen Heart & Vascular Center can help you get on the right track to treating peripheral artery disease in Goshen, IN. We work together to make sure that you’re getting individualized, innovative care.
Talk to your primary care provider about a heart screening if you’re at risk for PAD. If you don’t have a primary care provider, call (877) 566-4660 for a referral.
Recognizing peripheral artery disease symptoms
In the early stages of peripheral artery disease, you may notice difficulty walking. Other PAD symptoms include:
- A bluish tint to the skin on your legs (caused by reduced oxygen flow)
- Leg pain, numbness or fatigue, especially when walking
- Toe pain
- Slow-healing wounds or sores on your legs
- Claudication (cramping in the lower leg)
Severe forms of PAD can cause painful foot ulcers, infections and gangrene, which can lead to amputation. Decreased blood flow also can lead to a heart attack or a stroke.
How we prevent and treat arterial disease
Risk factors for PAD include high blood pressure and cholesterol, diabetes, history of heart disease, kidney disease, smoking and being a male aged 50 or older. To reduce your risk and prevent PAD, your doctor will recommend lifestyle changes that improve the health of your arteries:
- Eat a heart-healthy diet full of fresh fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, lean protein and whole grains.
- Stop smoking. Ask your doctor about our smoking cessation program if you need help.
- Get aerobic exercise on a regular basis.
- Keep your blood pressure and cholesterol at healthy levels.
- Treat any leg sores or wounds promptly.
At Goshen Heart & Vascular Center, we place a high priority on saving a limb that is dying from a circulatory disease like PAD. Our minimally invasive limb preservation techniques, including angioplasty, are designed to improve circulation and have the potential to completely revive an endangered limb.
Our heart and vascular team is committed to the health of our community. See our heart healthy tips and talk to your doctor about a plan to prevent vascular diseases like PAD. Call (877) 566-4660 to get started.
Goshen Heart & Vascular Center offers peripheral artery disease treatment in Goshen, IN, for the people of Elkhart County and beyond.